UNESCO conducted the 15th meeting of National Committees and Focal Points of the Intergovernmental Hydrological Program of UNESCO for Latin America and the Caribbean (CONAPHI) on 24-27 October 2022 in Dominican Republic. This meeting was a platform for information sharing and reporting on activities of members of the UNESCO water family, including IHP National Committees and Focal Points, Working groups, UNESCO Centers and UNESCO Chairs.
Among other activities, the regional groups of the various IHP major initiatives presented their activities and plans. G-WADI representatives were among them. Dr. Gabriel Mancilla, Executive Director of the G-WADI regional technical secretariat, CAZALAC, prepared the G-WADI presentation, which was given by Will Logan, Director of the G-WADI global technical secretariat, ICIWaRM. G-WADI accomplishments in Latin America and the Caribbean in 2021-2022 included:
- Course on Characterization, monitoring and nature of droughts, co-organized with UNESCO, CODIA and CAZALAC (April 2021).
- Online course on strategies for adaptation to climate effects, co-organized with UNESCO, CODIA and CAZALAC (November 2021).
- Training course on application of methodologies for determining drought vulnerability, co-organized with CAZALAC and UNESCO (December 2021).
- Workshops on the project "Development of an atlas of drought vulnerability in Latin American and the Caribbean" (April, May, June, July, August and October 2022).
- Co-editing the UNESCO publication "Strategies for increasing water availability and enhancing water-use efficiency in Latin America and the Caribbean"
- English translation of the "Midsummer Drought Atlas for Central America and the Caribbean".