The General Secretariat of the Arab Network for the Management of Water Resources in the Arid and Semi-Arid Regions of the Sultanate of Oman, in coordination and cooperation with the UNESCO Cairo Office, held the third general meeting of the Arab Network in Muscat, Sultanate of Oman from 17-19 September 2017.
The meeting participants discussed the performance of the network since the last meeting, support for the Network, strengthening the links among the members, and cooperation and coordination with other international and regional networks.
Network members also developed a list of priorities for the next several years. These included work on:
- Water-related disasters and hydrological changes, including flash flooding in wadis and the potential impacts of climate change on water resources;
- Groundwater in a changing environment, including its protection, use of traditional knowledge in water management, and managed aquifer recharge;
- Water scarcity and quality, including integrated and sustainable water resources governance, improving water use efficiency, water harvesting and the water-food-energy nexus;
- Water and human settlements in the future, including water treatment and desalination; and
- Ecohydrology and water education.
More information is available at http://arabgwadi.om/.